Old Sedberghians, former and current staff members, parents both past and present and friends of the School are all warmly invited to participate in the annual Alumni Cross Country Race in London which will this year will be held on Saturday 17th September 2022.
This is a long standing race hosted by Thames for old girls and boys of schools with strong cross country running traditions. It started in 1953 and has grown in popularity, now attracting around 300 runners from around 60 schools. The course of 5 miles on Wimbledon Common is a shortened version of the Blues Race course. The OS Running has participated for a number of years with a growing number of runners.
All ages and running abilities are welcome! Seventy-year-olds compete with eighteen-year-olds – the fastest time is usually close to 25 mins and the back markers closer to 60 minutes.
Last year the OS Running Team alumni achieved a terrific 4th place result at the 69th edition back in December, with the OS contingency comprising of 9 experienced runners: Johnny Campbell (SH 12-16), Freddie Strachan (H 03-08), Henry Bolton (P 90-95), Jon Lidiard (E 95-00, Former Evans Housemaster), Daniel Johnson (W 04-09), Ben Collins (P 97-02), Alice Slattery (L 15-17), James Gordon (SH 85-92), and Hattie Duxbury (L 15-17).
There four team competitions within the race are:
- The Henry VIII Trophy – an open race to be won by the team whose first four finishers have the lowest score, the winner of the race scoring 1 and so on upwards.
- The Old Brentwood’s Trophy – Veterans’ 40 race, participants to be aged 40 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Chataway Trophy – the Veterans’ 50 race, participants to be aged 50 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Old Denstonian Trophy – the Veterans’ 60 race, participants to be aged 60 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Norman Berry Cup for the individual winner, who must be one of a team of at least three.
Annual London Alumni Cross Country Race
Saturday 17th September 2022
Race Starts at 2:30pm (Please arrive by 2:00pm for registration)
Course is 5 miles (Please visit the Thames & Hare website for more details)
Wimbledon Common is located on the A3 at the Richard Evans Memorial Playing Fields (Roehampton Vale, SW15 3PQ). The meeting venue is the Pavillion/Club House which overlooks the playing fields. There is ample parking located adjacent to the A3 and infront of the Pavillion/Club House.
This will be followed by the usual custom of OS Drinks at the Green Man Pub and then Dinner in the City.
More information will be available in due course.
If you interested in taking part in the Old Sedberghian Running Team we would be delighted to hear from you- please contact Benjamin Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.